Thursday 9 August 2012

Money or Love?

With a year left of my degree, I'm starting to have to face a difficult choice about what to go into after university. The dream is to get a PhD studentship. Easier said that done. In the likely event that does not happen I face a decision that many young science graduates will face. Suit or lab coat? From my course, approximately 50-60% of students go on to work in a lab, often analytical chemists, DNA experts etc. Around 30% find corporate jobs, working on the business side of the scientific industries. Inevitably the corporate jobs pay more, a lot more. Is it worth hanging up the lab coat for the money? I think I already know which was I will end up going... The love of science is a far better friend than money could ever be.

Would you rather be the suit or the lab rat?

No comments:

Post a Comment