Wednesday 1 August 2012

The Boring, Boring News Channels.

Since you've made your way to this blog, you've probably already heard, researched and dissected the announcement that physicists at CERN believe they have proved the existence of the 'Higgs Boson'. There's also a good chance you understand the nature of this mysterious particle better than me (I'm a chemist, it would take a physicist to properly explain the 'Higgs Boson' to anyone). Whatever, that's beside the point. The point is, the morning of the announcement I woke up, turned on the radio, and heard a very short snippet of this exciting news. The most important thing to happen, in scientific terms, since man first walked on the moon. I turned on the TV, and flicked to the news channels to hear all about this announcement, expecting it to be the biggest headline. To my shock, on every news channel, they were discussing a banking scandal that had already been running for well over a week. I waited and waited, and the Higgs Boson news was awarded less than 5 minutes at the end of a 1 hour show.

This kind of brings up the question as to what is wrong with society when people would rather watch people discuss how rich, greedy fat cats find ways of ripping them off rather than hear about such an important discovery. Is there anything wrong? Am I the one with the problem here? Perhaps. I'll let you be the judge of that. Maybe I should just be grateful that the discovery got any kind of media discovery at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment